URGENT – Brigade Members

Due to conditions in Honduras we are discussing all possibilities including cancelling the brigade. We would appreciate your input. Please respond by taking the survey.

Thank you for your willingness to serve on our medical brigade in Honduras! As you may be aware there is currently a high level of civil unrest in Honduras due to changes in education and healthcare proposed by the government. The people sometimes setup protests in order to inconvenience business and transportation. This primarily happens in the big cities and is not unusual for Honduras. This shouldn’t affect our ability to conduct medical clinics but may impact our ability to get in and out of the airport in Tegucigalpa.

The U.S. State Department has a Level 3 warning for travel to Honduras. If you find that frightening just know that it has been at Level 3 many times in the past when we have traveled. You can read more about the U.S. State Department information here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Honduras.html#/ A quick online search of “Honduras Protests 2019” will also provide articles with more detailed information.

The Honduras Good Works Brigade Committee and Board of Directors are monitoring and evaluating the situation closely in order to determine if the Brigade will occur. We are in contact with many Hondurans who serve with us in country. The safety of all our volunteers is of paramount importance to our organization.

Each of us has a different level of risk tolerance. Even if the Brigade moves forward, you should make the ultimate decision on whether you want to participate. Please fill out our short survey by Saturday, June 29th in order to let us know your current comfort level with going on the Brigade. You can find it here: Brigade Participation Survey.

We will provide as much information as possible so that you can make an informed decision. This may include emails and updates to our Brigade Updates page. You will also find a form on that page if you wish to ask a question.

The Brigade Committee will be meeting this Sunday to create contingency plans for problems in country and to set policy in the event we as an organization or you individually decide not to go. Expect another email from us sometime Monday, July 1st, with more details. We have set July 3rd as our Go or No-go date. You will receive another communication at that time with the direction of the Brigade.

Finally, we would like to share this prayer with you.

“We would challenge all the team to pray for God’s blessings for the trip, to keep the doors open for a successful trip. Many people are helped by our team and rely on our team. If God has need of us to go may He clear the way such that there is no doubt in our minds about what He needs us to do. If He has determined, we are not to go may He make it clear also. Pray for the people of Honduras as they struggle to make a difference in their country. Pray for the President of Honduras that his heart is open to do what is best for his country.”

Peace be with you,
Brigade Committee
Board of Directors, Honduras Good Works

Share This